Friday, July 2, 2010

greetings from turkey.

I'm sitting at a little internet cafe in Turkey before boarding back on the cruise and cannot possibly email and blog in the 20 minute allotment given to me. I haven't written since Barcelona! Since then we have visited Mykonos, a small island in Greece and Sicily, Italy, with a couple days at sea situated in between, and then today, Turkey. For a quick summary which will not even adequately broadly touch on our journeys, the cruise has been extraordinary! The food has allowed us to eat our way through every food group imaginable, such as the barbequed frog legs or the escargot appetizers followed by course after course of exquisite delicacies. I am truly spoiled by the delicious and ample amount of food, and the beautiful people I have met on the ship. The workers on the ship, in total, come from a range of 52 nations, and their service is kind, prompt, and sociable. Our waiter's name is Joey, and he always takes our order asking enthusiastically, "My lady?" and then Ayhan, our busboy, is from Turkey and finally gets to see his wife and son this afternoon! I'm so happy for him. Today, we spent the hot morning strolling through the ruins of Ephesus. We stood in the theatre where lions executed prisoners and Christians as onlookers cheered, at the same place where gladiators fought. We walked through the excavated houses of councils and governments, learning about the history of the people and the gems that architects have uncovered. Also we visited the Virgin Mary's House which was such a unique experience; it was even difficult to grasp where we were. It is hard to soak in so much history and begin to fathom the events and the people that walked where I walked this morning.

I'm out of time at my internet cafe so this is all I have time for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment