Thursday, December 9, 2010

why I like voicemail.

Today I got reemed out on the phone by an athiest woman. Afterwards, I hung up and attempted to hold it together for the UPS man waiting in front of my desk but I was losing it fast, so quickly tried to avoid eye contact, sign the bill and make him go away so I could cry. And cry I did. I don't know what upset me the most. Maybe it was the pure animosity that resounded from her words. Never have I been so forwardly mocked. I was personally mocked. My church and place of work were mocked. And my God. But I think, more than anything, it was the hatred I felt from her. Conflicts in relationships, especially ones of betrayal can be incomprehensibly painful, but this was different. This woman did not know me, nor did she care to. I was just her target of hatred. It was a knife being flung at me through the phone...or at least thats what it felt like. I was stumbling over my words and saying "excuse me" over and over again to try to remain calm but get through the phone call with a little bit of dignity, to try to make her stop raging at me. I would volley between bouts of defensiveness and peace-offerings. It was horrible. I wonder why that woman hates Christians so much and the church. I know sometimes we are terrible faces to this whole thing. But thats whats beautiful about it...is the grace thats involved. If I could go back in the conversation I would apologize to her and tell her that it was a shame that our church has not, in her eyes and probably many others been an asset to the community regardless of our weekend meetings. I would tell her that if we have not reached out enough to the poor or the oppressed that we have not done our part. That I personally have not done my part. And for that I am sorry.


I guess for thousands of years there have always been people who downright hate Jesus, the peace-maker, justice-seeker, social worker, radical, anti-religion and anti-routines leader who taught messages of love and hope and redemption. How does the church represent him? I know that I am much more drawn to the man than the institution, but in the latter lies community, the ugly and the thick, thin, skinny, tall and beauty wrapped up into one..

No comments:

Post a Comment